Thursday, October 20, 2005

The haunted farm


The haunted farm, originally uploaded by Twm™.

I've been putting it off all summer but my walk today takes me to the haunted farm. A derelict building with no access from the road. This farm house and barn has been slowly crumbling back to the earth for many decades. It lies abandoned half way up the hill behind my house and is steeped in suburban legend. With wild stories passed on and embellished by the local kids.

Some say that the farmer went insane one night and shot his wife and two sons before taking his own life. Their spirits roam the farm land and can their presence is felt every time a door slams in the wind or a tree hisses as the leaves rub against each other.
As a nine year old you were very brave to enter the barn alone, past the "danger sign" which warned about structural integrity. The longer you could stay inside, then the more of a man you were, since it was only a matter of time before the spirit of the farmer would come to shoot you in the back of the head.

As you can imagine, it was sometimes quite scary to have such a place behind the house. And especially thrilling when, on a dark night I spotted light coming from the farm house on the side of the dark hill. I ran into bed and hid under the covers shaking like a twenty a day coffee drinker.

Today I braved the chilling perimeter and warning signs and enter the haunted farm on my own. I can't help but feel I was being watched.

Photo by Twm™, London - UK & Pontypridd - WALES.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




"THE RICH MUST LIVE MORE SIMPLY SO THAT THE POOR MAY SIMPLY LIVE." - Mahatma Gandhi