Tuesday, December 06, 2005

My home is my castle...


My home is my castle..., originally uploaded by carf.

My home is my castle...
Our new community base, run by youth of the Hummingbird Project, is situated at the foot of this shanty, the Morro de Macaco (Monkey’s Mound).

I walked up and down these hills yesterday afternoon until nightfall, meeting many of our kids flying their kites on the steep slopes of this once beautiful natural forest, but I was utterly dismayed with the reality many of them are living.

Behind each “house” there are a dozen huts. Behind each wall there is a tragic story to be told; I listened to many from suffering mothers, about their sons who have been murdered, about their plight for survival.

They cried, I cried!
And as always, they thanked me for what we are doing; I thanked them for sharing their suffering with me. I feel so honoured to be in such a position, to be the listener, and I hope to share all this with those of you less privileged.

I hope you will also share with me by supporting the initiative of a fellow Flickrite, who is challenging you all to reach the stars.

I cannot but admire these people, these children, for their incredible strength to overcome such difficulties and yet still keep smiling.

Take a closer look!

Photo by Gregory J. Smith, São Paulo - BRAZIL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




"THE RICH MUST LIVE MORE SIMPLY SO THAT THE POOR MAY SIMPLY LIVE." - Mahatma Gandhi