Friday, October 28, 2005

Premonition - Burn


Premonition - Burn, originally uploaded by TooLoose-LeTrek.

Will this house burn next weekend?

This was shot in Detroit, a city notorious for its wild and crazy activities on Devil's Night, the night before Halloween. On Devil's Night, kids used to soap windows, drape houses or trees with toilet paper, or ring door bells and run away. However, in the late 80s, Detroit started a new tradition of burning abandoned homes. One year the fire count on Devil's Night was around 700.

As I shot this photo yesterday morning, a Detroit cop pulled up and after asking me if I was waiting for someone (the only person I might be waiting for in this neighborhood around 8 AM would be a drug dealer or a prostitute), to which I said 'no,' and showed her my camera, she proceeded to get out of her squad car and post a sign seen thousands of times around Detroit: This House is Being Watched. It must have been a safeguard, trying to keep this house from being torched this coming Sunday.

This house is a likely candidate for the match, so I will revisit this site after Halloween and see if it survived.

BTW, I am not the sort of person who would start a fire myself, so I won't be doing that just for the sake of a picture.

Photo by Too-Loose le Trek, USA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




"THE RICH MUST LIVE MORE SIMPLY SO THAT THE POOR MAY SIMPLY LIVE." - Mahatma Gandhi